If you love mid-century modern design and “low slung California style”, then this Sherwood Forest home is for you!
Nicknamed the “Fun House” on the 2017 Modern Home Tour, this beautifully restored mid-century modern ranch is perfect for everyday living or entertaining a crowd.
New glossy white kitchen, sustainable bamboo floors, high ceilings, clean lines and an open floor plan offer modern living at its best. You’ll love the iconic, white Malm fireplace, vaulted ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. The private backyard is great for a BBQ (or maybe even add a pool!), and Finsbury Place is a quiet street perfect for walking the dog. This 3,171 square foot ranch with 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths is a rare find!
Close to many private schools, Cotswold, Southpark and a short Uptown commute, this area is fast becoming Charlotte’s go-to area.
- Encapsulated crawlspace with dehumidifier
- Covered grill station – built in blue tooth speakers
- Large custom outdoor dining table
- Custom Storage shed/workroom
- Modern sculpture in front yard
- Large renovated kitchen vaulted ceilings with new Jenn Air stainless appliances – including induction cooktop and double oven. Viking hood vent.
- Renovated master bath – walkthrough shower and separate vanities and water closet
- Two gas fireplaces. One is the original glossy white Malm stand alone fireplace.
- Neutral designer wallpaper
- Built in speakers in kitchen, den has built in surround sound speakers including surround sound
- Home automation including lighting, video door bell, front/rear door locks and thermostats
- Original mid-century modern wall desk with bookshelves. These were original to the house built in 1963
- Vintage art deco entry hall light
- Built in media center cabinet in den
5322 Finsbury Place Home Story
“Hunt and I came to love and appreciate midcentury modern homes about 10 years ago. We love the simple genius of the architecture, the clean lines, the high ceilings and open floor plans. We both knew that we wanted to live in one of these special homes one day.
We also knew that we wanted to stay in our neighborhood. We have lived in Sherwood Forest since 2000. We feel like it’s one of the hidden gems in Charlotte. The lawns are big, the location is convenient to uptown and Southpark, but more importantly, the neighborhood has beautiful trees, wide streets for walking and bike riding and the neighbors are the so friendly. The community is close knit and active. There are so many organized and unorganized activities at the common area down the street. There is an annual Halloween parade, Food Truck Fridays in the warmer months, and playgroups and soccer matches.
It was obviously going to be a challenge to find a midcentury home that was in Sherwood Forest. But it was meant to be. We actually had someone who wanted to by our traditional ranch at the same time we found out that 5322 Finsbury was going on the market. We were the first people to see the house. At that time, the house was 100% carpeted, the kitchen needed a total overhaul, and the curb appeal was lacking. But we saw the high ceilings, the wood beams, the Malm fireplace and started to get excited. Then we opened the door to the playroom and master suite addition and were blown away. One thing we love about the house is the intentional unpretentiousness from the street.
We also love the property. It’s on the best street in the neighborhood that does not get the pass through traffic. The flat front yard is great for kids playing tag and soccer and the natural backyard was great for our son and friends to play hide and seek and laser tag. It is also low maintenance, and has the feeling of living in the woods. After hearing the barred owls for years we bought an owl house as our family Christmas gift. The next year we had two babies we named “Hootie and the Blowfish”. See pics attached.
Our favorite rooms are the large kitchen and the lounge area. We love to cook and entertain and have casual dinner parties nearly once a month. In fact our house was nicknamed the “Fun House” on the 2017 Mad About Modern home tour.That is how everyone describes our house and how we feel about it to.
We truly hope the new owners will have fun in Sherwood Forest and our house as much as we have.”
– Hunt and Emily